School's out, and so are the grills. It's time to send out invitations to your first of many outdoor gatherings this Summer! If you don't have a yard for entertaining, try your deck or rooftop. If your rooftop is slanted or your deck doesn't exist, find an obliging local park.
When you start pulling everything together, don't forget the string lights (or white candles) and don't forget the music! I've got you covered on the latter.
Introducing "Today's Cook-Out," a feel-good collection of contemporary tunes to lend a care-free air to your Summer get-together. You'll recognize a few of the artists on this list, including Mat Kearny, Macy Gray, and Ingrid Michaelson, but most of this collection is music from bands you'll rarely if ever hear on the radio. So, I hope you'll enjoy discovering some new bands! Half of the songs in this set are my "favorites," but I've disciplined myself enough to just mention this handful:
- "Give a Little Love" by little known The Mostar Diving Club, track #7. After hearing this song at the conclusion of an episode of "Castle," I spent an hour or so listening to this group and I love them!
- "Blue Skies" covered by the quirky Danni'elle Gaha, track #20. Just her voice and a bongo drum. So cool.
- "Wishful Thinking" by The Ditty Bops, a female duo with a vintage carnival-esque sound, track #22.
- "Cape Cod Kwassa" by the increasingly popular Vampire Weekend, track #23. No matter where you are, this song will transport you to the beach.
- "Ho Hey" by The Lumineers, track #24. Many thanks to the Bing commercial for introducing me to this free-spirited little number.
As always, newly introduced playlists such as this one can be streamed directly from the Eats and Beats homepage on the right-hand menu, the Eats and Beats Music Playlists Page, or on Grooveshark where you can edit the playlist as you please!