Forgive me in advance for getting a bit more personal than usual.
I'm 29... so 2012 is going to make me 30. I don't think I dread turning 30 the way some
women people do. Truly, I've never minded getting older. Yet, there really is something about that number that forces me to take stock. Even in my early 20's I didn't see myself ever turning 30. But now I'm less than 8 weeks from completing 30 years, and I know that getting to 40 is going to feel like it went by in half the time it took to get from 20 to 30. Then I think, Easy there, Janna. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. That should be good advice, but deep down I really know the time is going to fly, and it matters that it'll fly. All of a sudden things my mom has been saying for years like, "I know I'm grown up, but my mind still seems the same as when I was 19," are becoming uncomfortably personal. Right now I feel like, for the most part, people see me as I see myself. I just don't know if that will be true as I get older, so I'll have to learn to place less value there. I'm also haunted by directives I grew up with such as, "Learn wisdom in thy youth." I worry about what important opportunities for establishing sound patterns for my life I may have not jumped on while in my 20's. Lastly, I wonder if I really understand what I'm leaving behind.
|Age 23 with my adorable niece.|
There's an entirely different part of me that thinks the 30's will far surpass the enjoyment of my 20's. "Thirty, flirty and thriving," right? (Flirty with just Shawn, of course.) I know who I am, what I want, and where real happiness comes from. At least I understand those things much better than I didn't 10 years ago, and, frankly, it feels great to have that kind of charge of myself. So, why look back?!
|Age 29 carrying my own little girl.|
With that, I'd like to kick off 2012 and this next decade of my life with purpose. My resolutions for self and Eats and Beats (that aren't too personal to share) are to...
- Continue to enjoy my family. Shawn and Kate are awesome, so this one shouldn't be too tough.
- Make dinner for Shawn and myself more often. I love to create special menus, but I'm kind of pathetic when it comes to the day-to-day stuff.
- Be fit. I know this should be much more specific. I need to work out the details, but for now I just know that I miss the level of activity I used to maintain and I really need to get moving again. Ick.
- Make sure Kate sees the camera pointed at her more often than she does at food. First things first!
- Conquer a souffle. Ack!
- Make my first cheesecake. It's about time, don't you think?!
- Pray that Eats and Beats becomes successful enough that I can stop shamelessly advertising each post to my friends and family on my personal Facebook page. You know you're praying for this too. :)
- Continue hosting for the love of it. I really don't think I'm in much danger here, but I've never put my hobby on display for anyone except my guests, so it can be a little nerve-racking!
Okay, now I want to hear from you! What are your resolutions? Also, what would you like to see on my Eats and Beats resolution list? Types of menus you'd like to see, hosting topics you'd like addressed, playlists for a certain type of event, I want to hear about it!